The Story of Barcroft Hall
Barcroft Hall is a historic building sited at Cliviger near Burnley, Lancashire. It has been on English Heritage’s at-risk register for many years. However, it’s now enjoying a true renaissance – with its historic status carefully and painstakingly conserved.
This 17th-Century hall is one of Burnley’s oldest and most impressive buildings, yet in recent years had quite sadly become a mere shadow of its original and regal self. Now, thanks to work undertaken by Tetlow Developments Ltd (the Northwest’s leading specialists in historic-building conservation) its crumbling walls and facades are now standing proud again. In addition, the adjoining cottages have been transformed into eight elegant yet modern living spaces.
Here’s the full story of this extensive renovation, restoration and conservation project….
Our Conservation Work – Looking Into History
Tetlow Developments purchased Barcroft Hall from the Rawsthorne family, who had owned the property for over 100 years, and who had previously bought the Hall from the Townley Family (of Burnley fame). The Hall and adjoining properties were in a very poor state of repair and it was clear from the outset that this was going to be one of the most challenging house renovations we had ever undertaken.
Walking around the neglected shells of the buildings, it was quite difficult to imagine the many chapters of its historic life and tales that it could tell from the many generations of people that had resided within. For example, the original section of the Hall, which now forms the cottages, was first built in the 1500’s and the later additions were added in 1614 -the date being inscribed above the doorway to the main hall.
However, residence on the site can be dated much further back. Records show that the Barcroft Family lived there from 1311 when a timber-framed building would have occupied the site. In 1794, Charles Townley bought the hall for £1,640 but continued to live in Townley Hall (which in itself is another fine example of historic building conservation).
Later, in 1901, Lady O’Hagan (again of the Townley Family) took furniture and fittings from Barcroft Hall for a renovation project of another yet another local property, Hollins Hall (Hollins Hall can also still be seen in the Burnley area today).
Our Restoration Work – Revisiting a Bygone Age
During the renovation work we endeavoured to keep as many of the building’s original features as possible utilising our historic-building restoration skills. Features included a spiral stone staircase, wattle-and-daub walls, minstrels’ galleries, and many other features within the building; features often found in historic buildings of this age.
A prime example was the wood-panelled parlour in the south wing of the property which was fitted in the Victorian period. This is where the ‘Gentlemen’ of the house would have been entertained during the evenings. It is easy to imagine them wandering around this fantastic room with the fire ablaze, and whilst gazing out onto the Pendle Hill skyline. These kinds of features would be difficult to find on most renovation projects and is the reason why these properties are now so highly sought after in the Burnley real-estate portfolio.
Our Historic Listed-Building Work
Barcroft Hall is a Grade 2 star listed building, so consequently its historic building restoration had to be undertaken with strict control and guidance from Burnley Borough Council (the Local Authority whose jurisdiction the Hall fell within), with further guidance and assistance from English Heritage.
A neighbouring barn has also been part of this marvellous renovation project and has been subdivided into four contemporary living spaces. All have far reaching views over the stunning adjoining Townley estate.